Get your adrenaline rush in Tangadan Falls, La Union
La Union has been known for it's waves and beaches perfect for surfing. But another attraction is currently making waves to adrenaline-junkies: trekking and cliff diving in Tangadan Falls, San Gabriel La Union.
Located near San Juan, La Union, the venue for the yearly Surf Break (usually 3rd week of October), Tangadan Falls has now been added as another stop for the brave and courageous few.
|Tangadan Falls, San Gabriel La Union|
As for us (a.k.a Party Pipz, a group formed during our college years), was only headed towards a chill road trip to Halo Halo de Iloko in San Fernando. We were choosing between Tangadan Falls which is far up north from SFO or Tuddingan Falls in Naguilan which is on the way back to our home, Baguio City. We choose the former, "kasi ayaw nila pabalik balik"
How to get there:
- From Manila - Bus or Private Vehicle Going to the following :
- Laoag, Vigan, Candon, Abra .
- Get down to any of these places in La Union namely:
- San Fernando or San Juan.
- From San Juan, you can hail jeepney via San Fernando-San Gabriel route.
- From downtown San Gabriel, La Union go to Bucao, Duplas
- Hire a tricycle to bring you to Duplas which passes through Barangay Bucao.
- Just tell the tricycle driver that you are going to the Drop-off point to Tangadan Falls at Barangay Duplas - upper (Duplas is a part of San Juan, La Union) near Dagup
Tangadan Falls is Located Somewhere in San Gabriel
If you are new to this kind of adventure, hire a guide. The trail going to the falls is quite tricky. It requires you to cross the river 3 or 4 times (I lost count :P).
rule 1: GET Ready to Be WET!
- Tangadan Falls is part of the Baroro River which stretches across the La Union Province. Part of the trek is crossing the Baroro River along its river banks. Depending on the season, the water may rise up above your waist.
rule 2: Cliff Dive/Jump if you really know how to swim!
- There are spots there perfect for cliff diving along the Baroro River. The river may be 20 to 30 feet deep so be careful and during the rainy season, the river current is strong. Don't get distraught thou, just float and follow the current until you reach somewhere near the river banks.
|Cliff Diving Spot|
|View from the other side|
|Look Down Below!|
|Here I come!|
rule 3: Ready for a long trek ahead!
- 1 hour at least of trekking the rocky and wet trail of Tangadan Falls. Bring atleast 1 liter of water and some sun block if you don't intend to get burn by the sun. Even though its a long trek, you will hardly notice it because of the spectacular scenery aroung the river. Towering trees coupled with huge boulders of rock are scattered the Baroro River. Not to mention crossing rice fields and some plantation fields for crops are added bonus for nature viewing.
rule 4: Go there during Ber-Months
- I must say this, chasing waterfalls experience is best be done during which the flow of water is strong. This is true for Hulugan, Buruwisan, and now Tangadan Falls.
|Tangadan Falls, La Union|
|Baroro River Rapids San Gabriel La Union|
rule 5: Try the water theraphy thing
- If you want free and all natural massage from nature, hire the bamboo raft costing to 20 pesos per person! Truly a must!
Guide: Kuya Dan
Contact Number: 09956437922
Guide: kuya Raymond Macaraeg a.k.a. kuya Pedro
Contact Number: 09953992099
Usual Guide fee: 100 per head
You can call him for a must smoother experience as he has been tour guiding for more than 5 years now. He knows what he's saying. Like he warned and prohibited us to cliff jump the Tangadan Falls. ALWAYS follow the locals' advice. Wag Bida Bida! He will instead suggest alternative cliff diving/jumping site for your cravings to be satisfied.